My Blog Button

My Beautiful Kiddos

My Beautiful Kiddos

My Love and I

My Love and I
Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs
Military Spouses Blog Network
Happy Kids, Inc

Labels

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Tye Dye Cupcakes, Party and More!!

Awhile back I wrote about ideas for doing birthday parties and how to make them inexpensive but still fun. Well today we had Taylor's 8th birthday party and that is exactly what I did!
We did a painting party so I got all the supplies from Micheal's. I was able to get 10 8x10 canvas for them to paint for 12 bucks (with a 40% off coupon). The paint was $1 a bottle (I got 8 bottles) and the paintbrushes were 6 bucks for about 20 different ones. 
I had some leftover party stuff (paper plates and napkins) so I went to the store and got some more party stuff on clearance and paid a total of 12 bucks for 16 cups, plastic tablecloth, party poppers, goodie bags, blow pops, and lip gloss (for the goodie bags!). I also got some balloons for 6 bucks.
I spent a good portion of money on food since I didn't have time to make much more than the cupcakes. I got a HUGE fruit platter for 20 bucks, ham spinach wraps for 7 bucks, a dozen deviled eggs for 4 bucks and capri sun drinks for 6 bucks.
Then I made the cupcakes at home and frosted them with a can of rainbow chip frosting (2.39). I saw a cool tye dye cake in one of the family magazines for Arkansas and decided I would try it for the cupcakes! 
It is super easy to do all you need is cake batter and food coloring. First make the batter according to the directions on the box. Then divide the batter up equally into 6 different bowls (or however many colors you want in your cupcakes). Then follow the directions on the back of the food coloring on how to make the different colors.


When you have done that then you will scoop each color into the cupcake wrappers. There really is no wrong way to do this part. You can take and spoon the mixture one right over the other or you can randomly spoon it into the wrappers. 




Bake them in the oven for 20-24 minutes. Let them cool and then top them with frosting!


It so very easy to have a fun birthday party that doesn't hurt the bank!!


 photo signature.png

2 comments:

  1. Came to your site from your food post on Bloggy Moms. I recently posted my intro in the food mommy cafe area but no responses, I guess the food area isn't all that busy.

    Love your rainbow cupcakes. They look fantastic. Did you use liquid, paste, or powder food colouring?

    I don't know how you get the time to bake having kids and being in the Air Force. You must be super mum!

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the liquid food coloring! I had gel but wasn't sure if it would work or not. My life is hectic that is for sure but I think I would go stir crazy if it was anything else!

    ReplyDelete