My Blog Button

My Beautiful Kiddos

My Beautiful Kiddos

My Love and I

My Love and I
Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs
Military Spouses Blog Network
Happy Kids, Inc

Labels

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

Happy Birthday Girl Scouts!

So 100 years ago today, Juliette Gordon Low founded Girl Scouts with 18 girls in Savannah Georgia.
Wow! 100 years and still going strong. 



I was a Girl Scout and loved every minute of it. I think mainly because we weren't one of those troops that sat around and did badges at every meeting. We went out and did things. We explored, traveled, learned things we might not have if it hadn't been for Girl Scouts. I most definitely cherish my childhood memories of this because of all the cool places we went. We were pages for a day for the Texas Senate in Austin. We went camping (and even did a Troop Beverly Hills campout), went to California, San Antonio, Oklahoma. Just to name a few places. I went to camp and met new friends and had a blast for the few weeks I was "away from the parents" every summer. 
I have to say none of this would have all been possible without some really good troop leaders that came up with all these ideas and inspiried us. When my troop finally disbanded the summer before my senior year we still had over half the girls that started in our troop back when I joined in second grade!
My oldest Taylor recently started Girl Scouts and I think secretly I am more excited about it than she knows! I feel in a society that encourages girls to grow up so much more quickly than necessary, Girl Scouts helps preserve some of that innocence. I remember growing up watching Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Brite and now it seems that the only thing on TV is drama shows were kids are boyfriend and girlfriend and they discuss cheating on the other! Really! Is that necessary already!! 
Thankfully there is still some goodness out in the world and I encourage all those moms with daughters to think about Girl Scouts to teach them morals and values that our daughters so desperately need!

If you want more information on Girl Scouts look here:  Girl Scouts


 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment